Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Bit About Me & Going Forward....

This is the first entry in my Brewing Blog.  It will serve to be an online repository for my homebrew recipes and a place to share information with other brewers, should they feel like commenting.  Due to Ph.D. dissertation writing, starting a biotech company, and moving to a new house, I'll be pretty slow updating the blog until late 2013, but come January 2014 I will be regularly updating it with new brews.

If anyone other than myself reads this, heres a little bit about me...  I'm a Ph.D. student at the California Institute of Technology, studying Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics.  My interest in beer was initially piqued as an undergraduate at California State University Chico (Chico State) when I began to investigate the specific elements of the Hop Aroma Component Profile via Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry, Organic synthesis, and Solid Phase Micro Extraction in a joint project between Chico State and Sierra Nevada Brewery.  Despite my beer-centric research, I wasn't initially interested in brewing beer because it seemed so complicated and messy, relative to the Organic chemistry & Biochemistry I was entrenched in.  Fortunately, I got over my fears when my fiancee purchased a home brewing kit for me from the Ballast Point Homebrew Mart.  In the past three years since then, I've brewed about 70 batches, switched to being an all grain brewer (5-25 gallon scale), and won twenty five or so medals in brewing competitions.

I'm looking forward to improving my brewing over the coming years, both technically and creatively.  I'll be brewing some of SMaSH beers (Single Malt and Single Hop), and lots of english ales (Primarily Milds & Milk Stouts), X/APAs, sours (I own two 15.5 gallon Cabernet barrels) and big beers (RIS, Barley Wines, Wheat Wines and DIPAs; 1 10 gallon Rum barrel and 1 8 gallon Whiskey barrel).  Cheers!

Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment